ATLANTA, Ga. — On Wednesday afternoon, the No. 19 Texas men’s golf team lost a 4-1 decision to No. 25 Pepperdine in the East Lake Cup Match Play consolation match at East Lake Golf Club. Senior Travis Vick earned Texas’ lone individual win on Wednesday. Vick picked up a 1-up win over Derek Hitchner.
The eighth annual East Lake Cup featured all four semifinalists from last year’s NCAA championship, including defending national champion Texas, runner-up Arizona State and semifinalists Vanderbilt and Pepperdine .
The East Lake Cup marked the last competition of the fall season for the Longhorns. Texas will be back on the course at the Southwestern Invitational from January 30 through February 30. 1 (Monday-Wednesday) in Westlake Village, CA.
- Senior Mason Nome fell by a margin of 1 against Ian Maspat. The two players were all tied going into the 18th and final hole, where Maspat took the holeshot to clinch the individual win.
- Second year Alexander González dropped a 7&6 decision to Luke Gifford.
- First-year student Keaton Vo fell by a margin of 1 against Sam Choi. Vo held a 1-over 16-hole advantage, before Choi won the final two holes to claim the individual win.
- First-year student Christian Maas dropped a 4&3 decision to William Mouw.
- Senior Travis Vick picked up a 1-up win over Derek Hitchner. Hitchner held a 3-up through the first eight holes, but Vick responded with back-to-back wins on holes 9 and 10 to cut the margin to 1-up. Hitchner responded with a win on hole 11 to increase his cushion to 2-up, before Vick won three consecutive holes (12, 13 and 14) to take a 1-up advantage. Both players halved the last four holes and Vick completed the 1-up victory.