LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) -Lincoln Parks and Recreation announced that carts will not be available for use at city golf courses from Feb. 27 through March 13 due to extremely dry turf conditions.
“The grass on our courses, like most grasses in our area, is suffering from a lack of moisture due to the warmer, drier winter we have experienced. Early March is a critical time to protect the grass growth before greening up in the spring, especially for bentgrass,” said Casey Crittenden, Golf Course Maintenance Coordinator. “Restricting golf cart use in early March is a simple preventative measure to minimize possible turf damage that can be costly and time-consuming to repair.”
Crittenden said maintenance staff are following the University of Nebraska – Lincoln’s recommendation to irrigate lightly when conditions are ideal to rehydrate grass crowns and restore moisture levels.
Lincoln Parks and Recreation operates five municipal locations:
- Highlands Golf Course, 5501 NW 12th St., 402-441-6081
- Holmes Golf Course, 3701 S. 70th St., 402-441-8960
- Mahoney Golf Course, 7900 Adams Street, 402-441-8969
- Pioneer Golf Course, 3403 West Van Dorn St., 402-441-8966
- Ager Golf Course and Learning Center, 3761 Normal Blvd., 402-441-3863
Contact each course’s clubhouse for updates on restrictions or visit lincolncitygolf.org.
Copyright 2022 KOLN. All rights reserved.