LAS VEGAS — The No. 16 Texas men’s golf team posted a 7-under 281 on Sunday to rest in eighth place after the opening round of Southern Highlands Collegiate at Southern Highlands Golf Club. Junior Mason Nome shot a 4-under 68 and is tied for 11th in the individual standings.
Southern Highlands Collegiate’s 15-team field includes seven teams ranked in the Top 25 in the latest Division I Bushnell Golfweek Coaches Poll (February 18).
Oklahoma’s No. 1 had a 20-under 268 and holds a five-shot cushion over No. 4 Pepperdine at 15-under 273. The Longhorns are just one stroke behind fifth in the team standings, as a group of all three teams (No. 7 Georgia, New Mexico and TCU) are tied for fifth at 8 under par 280.
Georgia Tech’s Christo Lamprecht holds a one-shot lead in the individual standings after going 65-for-7 on Sunday. Oklahoma’s Patrick Welch and Florida’s Fred Biondi are tied for second at 6 under 66.
Southern Highlands Collegiate continues with 18 holes each on Monday February 28 and Tuesday March 1. Texas will be paired with New Mexico and UCLA for Monday’s second round, and tee times begin at 11 a.m. (9 a.m. Pacific).
- Junior Mason Nome paced the Longhorns with a 4-under 68 and is tied for 11th. After starting his round with a double bogey on the first hole, he rallied to produce four birdies, an eagle on the par five 13th hole and par 12. Nome went 4-under 32 on the back nine.
- Junior Travis Vick shot a 3-under 69 and is tied for 22nd. He tied on his first 11 holes before recording birdies on holes 12, 13 and 16.
- Senior Cole Hammer carded a 1-under 71 and is tied for 35th. His turn was highlighted by an eagle on the par-five 3rd hole.
- Competing for the first time this spring, senior Parker Coody recorded a 1 of 73 and is tied for 59th. Coody had four birdies and played his last seven holes under 2.
- First-year student Alexander González, who is competing as an individual at this event, posted a 3 out of 75 and is tied for 70th. Junior Does Thomson is in 84th (92).