One of Australia’s top golf courses, Royal Sydney, has reportedly rejected the opportunity to host a LIV golf tournament in 2023.

LIV chief Greg Norman saidfoxsports.com.au last month that he had a team in Australia inspecting several venues that could host a tournament as part of the Saudi-backed league’s expanded 2023 schedule.

Now the Sydney Morning Herald reports that during this visit, Norman’s side were denied access to the prestigious club.

Watch every round of the President’s Cup LIVE with Fox Sports on Kayo from September 20-26. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

Royal Sydney would have been an attractive option for LIV Golf given its proximity to the world famous harbor and location in Sydney’s elite eastern suburbs.

Nonetheless, sources have told SMH that representatives of Royal Sydney have informed LIV Golf that the club is not interested in playing host.

Royal Sydney have been absent from hosting a major event for some time, their last Australian Open being in 2016 when Jordan Spieth won a three-way tie against Cameron Smith and Ashley Hall.

Prior to that, it hosted the 2013 Australian Open, which Rory McIlroy won against Adam Scott.

The Australian Open has since alternated between The Australian and The Lakes in Sydney, while this year’s return event will take place at Kingston Heath and Victoria golf courses in Melbourne.

While LIV was set to add another major event to the Australian calendar, Royal Sydney was reportedly content to stay out of the running.

Although Sydney was initially the favorite to host a LIV tournament in April, Queensland is now emerging as a more likely destination, with Gold Coast’s Sanctuary Cove said to be one of the favourites.

READ MORE

PGA star and rebel LIV ‘go for it’ as green swap goes viral

‘Hard to digest’: McIlroy can’t help but savagely sweep LIV as star slams ‘soap opera’

‘I wanted to be here’: Slapdown for Smith as surprise Australian gets Presidents Cup call-up

Making Queensland a particularly attractive option now for LIV is the signing of Brisbane native and world No. 2 Cameron Smith for A$140m.

LIV chief Norman said foxsports.com.au that it relishes the opportunity to tap into the Australian market in 2023, when its circuit expands from an eight-event invitational series to a 14-tournament league.

“It’s a market that I think is abused to some extent and unused on many fronts,” Norman said last month.

“My goal is to be able to bring what I can to the Australian market for Australian fans who love LIV’s product. The Australian market would embrace us like no other.

“So we’re going to come to Australia in the near future – I can’t give you a time frame – and we’ll give our product to the Australian people.”